Colby Bishop

Artist Bio

Colby Bishop (1997) was born and raised in Washington state. They moved from Vancouver, WA to Seattle in 2016 to start the BFA program at Cornish College of the Arts. They received their degree in the fall of 2020 with a focus in photographic and performative avenues. Working across media and disciplines they have been a part of various shows, including, The Foundations Show (2017), The RedLine Gallery (2018), Bogus Blooms (2019), Cornish BFA Show (2020), and Lost in Limbo (2020). Through using time as an important media, Bishop explores mutability, queerness, the body, and the uncanny. Working primarily with lens based mediums and sculptural forms, Bishop attempts to capture these concepts in seemingly fixed ways with unstable materials.

E-mail: colby.bishop@arts.cornish.edu

Artist Statement

Influenced by everyday objects, my work explores the uncanny using phenomenological affect and “queer” as processes. At the beginning and end of every day, I am a photographer — capturing moments and gestures into still form. When the lens is dropped, my hands take over. And as I unravel and upend the boundaries between 2-D and 3-D form, I execute work in various media; including sculpture, performance, installation, video, and photography. The work I create exists between defiance and exploration, and it’s there, in the indefinable place, where I am able to explore the queer. I set out to explore the existence of Queerness in both art and self. Identity, touch, and masculinity are ideas which present themselves throughout my work, in slippery manners.

Gallery

Junction, 2020
Video loop intended for projection 
Rubbing Requirement, 2020
Inkjet print, 35″ x 25″
$500
Ego Stroke, 2020
Inkjet print, 30″ x 30″
$450
Graze Maze, 2020
Inkjet print, 35″ x 20″
$450
Untitled (WIP), 2020
Installation sketch of sculptural forms and video projection. Dimensions variable
NFS
Anchor, 2020
Cotton, batting, C-stand. 5′ x 3′
$900
Anchor #2 (WIP), 2020
Cotton, batting, video projection. Dimensions variable
NFS
CONTACT IMPACT Photo of Engagement #1, 2020
Digital photograph, 24″ x 44″
NFS
CONTACT IMPACT Photo of Engagement #2, 2020
Digital photograph, 24″ x 50″
NFS
CONTACT IMPACT Photo of Engagement #3, 2020
Digital photograph, 24″ x 50″
NFS
CONTACT IMPACT Photo of Engagement #4, 2020
Digital photograph, 24″ x 35″
NFS