Michaela Elias

Artist Bio

Michaela Elias, an installation, sculpture, textile and mixed media artist, was born in New York in 1997 and currently resides in Seattle, WA. She graduated from Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle, WA in May, 2020 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree (BFA). Throughout her college years she participated in group exhibitions at Cornish College of the Arts such as DIY and Platforms of Exchange. She received a Merit scholarship for four years at Cornish College of the Arts, the highest scholarship available. She worked with artist Anish Kapoor twice during the summers in the last few years.

E-mail: chobiboy4@aol.com

Artist Statement

I consider myself a sculptor and installation artist. I create with a vast range of materials and processes in order to transform all manner of “things” into my vision. (Making) Art is a sacredness that liberates my ideas, concepts, and material explorations. (Making) Art is an enrichment I crave and nourish. 

Often, my distinct processes come together in an installation, an immersive environment, a world of the present. I seek to build an environment that allows me – and others – to transform or escape reality, a mental and physical sanctuary to be present within, to be at peace. 

Much like a cocoon acts as a protective enclosure, allowing rapid metamorphosis to adult form, I – and my body of work – are endlessly transforming. The cocoon form is my protective layer. An internal, imagined world where I can feel safe in my transformation. I am a quiet, introverted person and the sculptures resemble my emergence into the world.

Gallery

Islands, 2020
Wood, landscape edging, pond liners, grass seeds and soil installation, 153″x 36″ x 8″
Cocoons, 2019
Hand-made paper with a metal armature, 44″ x 25″ x 17″
A Collective of Memories Can You Spot What Was Yours?, 2020
Repurposed and manipulated textiles, 60″ x 100″ x 8″
Works in Progress, 2020
Repurposed and manipulated textiles, 60″x60″x8″
Boundless Entanglement, 2020
Repurposed and manipulated textiles, 60″ x 40″ x 15″
A Blissful Serenity Detail, 2019
Repurposed and manipulated textiles, 61″ x 42″