Sanoe Stevenson – Egeland

Artist Bio

Sanoe Stevenson-Egeland was born and raised in Kaua’i, Hawai’i. She currently lives and works in Seattle, Washington, and will receive her Bachelor of Fine Arts from Cornish College of the Arts in 2020. Sanoe works across various media, but has a focus in painting and printmaking. She has worked as a studio assistant for Seattle-based artist Jono Vaughan since 2019. In 2019, she also collaborated with artist Leonard Suryajaya on his solo show titled IS IT TIME YET at Specialist Gallery in Pioneer Square. She has both curated and shown in various local exhibitions, including a group show titled Close to Home and various Cornish group exhibitions including Bogus BloomsHallowed HallsDIY, Faculty Selects, and . She has also had work in the show of works on paper titled While Supplies Last, held at various locations in the Seattle area including Amandine Bakeshop and The Georgetown Art Walk.

E-mail: sanoe.stevensonegeland@arts.cornish.edu

Artist Statement

My hyperactive psyche is the driving force of my work. For me, art-making acts as a vehicle for contemplating the cyclical nature of the human condition. I strive to create connections between personal experiences, relationships, vulnerabilities and triumphs. Through painting and printmaking, I often construct interior and exterior spaces with complicated compositional structure, manipulated perspective, strong light and detailed patterning. Inventing compositions with a growing pile of personal photos, drawings and writings, I orchestrate my scattered thoughts into disjointed harmony. Synthesis helps me to identify connections between space, circumstance and sentiment, and the constellations continue to inspire subsequent works. Often pairing images and text, I integrate my internal monologue with found imagery to manipulate contradictions in emotion. My explorations propose questions about how the domestic acts as a structure for duality, and expand upon the hypocrisies of my affections. With my work, I hope to form a wider dialogue about interpersonal discrepancies.

Gallery

Learning by mistake, 2020
Etching and aquatint on paper. 10″ x 16″
$295, Edition of 3
Untitled (Dad’s working late), 2020
Oil on canvas. 30″ x 40″
$420
It’s cold inside, 2019
Oil on canvas. 18″ x 36″
$275
1. There is solace in natural light (and a Toyota), 2019
Etching and aquatint on paper with chine colle, 14″ x 16″
From an ongoing series titled Stockpile Reasoning
$100, Edition of 5
2. It lasts and long as you let it, 2020
Etching and aquatint on paper with chine colle. 12″ x 16″
$250, Edition of 5
R.I.P CONE, 2020
Oil on canvas. 28″ x 22″
$275
See you soon, 2019
Oil on wood panel. 40″ x 30″
$325
In and out of harm’s way (WIP), 2020
Oil on canvas, 22″ x 28″
$295
Safe as a shared seatbelt (WIP), 2020
Oil on canvas, 22″ x 28″
$295
Rent’s due, 2020
Acrylic on unstretched canvas. 10″ x 26″
$125