Lionel Vance

Artist Bio

Lionel Vance grew up in Portland, Oregon and attended Cornish College of the Arts where he received a BFA in Fine Arts in 2020. His work ranges in media from painting, printmaking, sculpture, and text. The conception of his work can be seen through his interest in home spaces, memory, family relationships, and trompe l’oeil. Vance has shown work in multiple locally based print shows and has assisted in projects such as ‘While Supplies Last’ where he found interest in working collectively with peers and artists. In 2019, he attended a residency at the Pilchuck Glass School where he focused on Vitreography printmaking. Currently, Vance resides in Seattle, Washington where he is pursuing collaborative projects in tandem with his solo work with painting.

E-mail: lionel.pvance@gmail.com

Artist Statement

The excavation of self-reflection, family, and home are integral aspects of my craft. Through painting interior spaces, personal or found mementos and surfaces, I create a dialogue with myself to understand nostalgia and memory. The composite and accumulation of image and text in my work formulates responses through both fictional and real landscapes. Subjecting the viewer to new perspectives allows me to enter them into my world. I find joy and complexity in painting this way- creating portraits of people or memories through the presentation of belongings and spaces in constructed scenes, each finished thought within a work in pursuance of reaction, remembrance, or understanding.

Gallery

New Terrain, 2020
Acrylic on wood panel, 20″ x 16″
$375
Hungry Mind, 2020
Acrylic on wood panel, 30″ x 20″
$500
Gamenight, 2020
Acrylic on wood panel. 20″ x 30″
$500
The Golden Age, 2020
Acrylic on wood panel, 30″ x 20″
$500
DIY, 2019
Acrylic on wood panel, 24″ x 18″
NFS
Detach, 2019
Acrylic paint, mdf, varnish.
$1,100
Detach (Back), 2019
Acrylic paint, mdf, varnish.
$1,100