Ellie Wellensiek

Artist Bio

Ellie Wellensiek (born 1998) is currently living and working in Denver, Colorado. She received a BFA at Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle, WA in the Spring of 2020. Ellie is an image-maker working in many forms, ranging from photography to video. She worked as an on-site photographer and film crew assistant for a documentary project in Kampot, Cambodia in 2018-19.

During her time in Seattle, Ellie participated as a collaborator for Leonard Suryajayah’s show IS IT TIME YET at Specialist Gallery in 2019 and has participated in many other Seattle based shows. She placed third in the Cornish Faculty Selects show in 2019. Her work has also been exhibited at the Foundations Show in 2017, RedLine Gallery in 2018, and has shown work in several other collaborative projects, including < YOU X = “MACHINA” > in 2018, and altered egos in 2019, and the Cornish BFA Exhibition in 2020.

E-mail: ekwellensiek@gmail.com

Artist Statement

I am an observer, a consumer, someone who enjoys looking just as much as I do making. I consider myself a photographer that separately and simultaneously uses my own captured photographs as well as found imagery. My creative process is both digital and analog as I examine the different ways an image can be created and presented. In a world where images exist in any form, constantly part of our everyday lives, it is impossible for me to choose one format of delivery as my medium. I explore anxiety and frustration through different lenses, creating new moments in time and space, challenging what may be hyper-real through light, color, and reflection. I see my process as an exploration in identity through assembling the fragments of my surroundings, in both digital and real life. Experimenting with photography as a medium also allows both a window and a mirror into my mind. I play with context and meaning in a never-ending, ever-expanding overflow of imagery. I curate the things I am attracted to aesthetically with the mediums we take for granted. The act of overlapping imagery is what satisfies the need in me to make sense of and digest overwhelming feelings, making order out of chaos.

Gallery

Swim Deep, 2020
Inkjet print/digital collage, 18″ x 14″
$300
Backstab, 2020
Inkjet print/digital collage, 18″ x 14″
$300
Gravity, 2020
Inkjet print/digital collage, 18″ x 14″
$300
Spacey, 2020
Inkjet print/digital collage, 18″ x 14″
$300
Flavor Mashup, 2020
Inkjet print/digital collage, 18″ x 14″
$300
Sunset, 2020
Inkjet print/digital collage, 18″ x 14″
$300
Made Up, 2020
Inkjet print/digital collage, 18″ x 14″
$300